A recent NerdWallet.com study revealed that 70% of consumers kept their coverage with the same insurance company for at least the last four years, and 38% of customers have never compared rates with other companies. With the average premium in America being $1,847, drivers can cut their rates by up to 47% a year, but they assume it’s a waste of time to compare other rate quotes.
The easiest way to find cheaper auto insurance rates is to start doing a yearly price comparison from different companies who sell insurance in Fort Worth. You can shop around by following these guidelines.
- First, it will benefit you to learn about auto insurance and the measures you can take to keep rates down. Many risk factors that are responsible for high rates such as traffic tickets, fender benders, and a negative credit rating can be improved by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Second, obtain price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only quote rates from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can provide price quotes for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find a lower rate, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Fourth, give notification to your current company of your decision to cancel your current auto insurance policy and submit a down payment along with a completed application to your new carrier. Make sure you put the certificate of insurance with the vehicle registration.
One key aspect of rate comparisons is to try to compare the same deductibles and limits on each quote and and to get quotes from all possible companies. This ensures the most accurate price comparison and and a good selection of different prices.
If you have a policy now or are just looking to switch companies, take advantage of these tips to save money and still get good coverage. Finding the cheapest insurance coverage in Fort Worth is not that difficult. You just need to understand the most effective way to buy insurance online from multiple companies.
Seven Things That Determine Your Insurance Premiums
One of the most helpful ways to save on car insurance is to to have a grasp of the factors that play a part in calculating the level of your policy premiums. When you understand what determines premiums, this allows you to make good choices that may reward you with lower rates.
Save by driving safer vehicles – Safer cars tend to have better insurance rates. Highly rated vehicles help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and lower injury rates translates directly to fewer claims and cheaper rates on your policy. If your Lincoln has ratings of a minimum four stars on Safercar.gov you are probably receiving a discount.
Having a spouse brings a discount – Having a wife or husband actually saves money when buying car insurance. It usually means you are more stable financially and statistics prove married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
Teenage drivers are expensive to insure – Older, more experienced drivers tend to be more responsible, are lower risk to insure, and get fewer tickets. Inexperience drivers have been known to get distracted easily with other occupants in the car therefore car insurance rates are much higher.
Improve your credit rating – Credit score can be a huge factor in calculating your premium rate. Insureds that have very high credit ratings tend to be more responsible than those with poor credit. If your credit score is not that good, you could potentially save money when insuring your Lincoln LS if you improve your credit rating.
Save money by raising coverage deductibles – Your deductibles represent how much money the insured will be required to pay if you file a covered claim. Insurance for physical damage to your car, aka comp and collision, covers damage that occurs to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply could be collision with another vehicle, animal collisions, or theft of your vehicle. The larger the amount the insured is willing to pay, the less your car insurance will be.
Liability is critical – A critical coverage on your policy, liability insurance will protect you when a jury decides you are liable for damages from an accident. This coverage provides legal defense coverage up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability insurance is pretty cheap compared to physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
Combine policies with the same company – Most major companies will award discounts to buyers who buy several policies from them in the form of a multi-policy discount. If you currently are using one company, consumers should still comparison shop to verify if the discount is saving money. Drivers may still find lower rates by buying from different companies
Save a ton by taking advantage of discounts
Insurance can be pricey, but you might find some hidden discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. Many discounts should be triggered when you get a quote, but occasionally some discounts must be specifically requested before you get the savings. If you do not double check each discount available, you are throwing money away.
- No Claim Discounts – Insureds who avoid accidents and claims can earn big discounts when compared with insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
- Senior Citizen Rates – Drivers over the age of 55 may receive lower premium rates.
- Multiple Vehicles – Buying a policy with all your vehicles with the same company could earn a price break for each car.
- Payment Discounts – By paying your policy upfront rather than paying monthly you could save up to 5%.
- Buy New and Save – Buying a new car model can save up to 30% since new vehicles are generally safer.
- Government Employees – Having worked for a branch of the government can save as much as 8% with certain companies.
- Telematics Discount – Policyholders that allow data collection to look at when and where they use their vehicle by using a telematic data system like In-Drive from State Farm and Progressive’s Snapshot may get a rate reduction if their driving habits are good.
A little disclaimer on discounts, some credits don’t apply to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. If you do the math and it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, you won’t be that lucky.
Large insurance companies and the discounts they provide are:
- American Family may have discounts that include bundled insurance, Steer into Savings, air bags, multi-vehicle, good student, and TimeAway discount.
- State Farm includes discounts for safe vehicle, accident-free, passive restraint, Drive Safe & Save, multiple policy, multiple autos, and anti-theft.
- 21st Century policyholders can earn discounts including homeowners, 55 and older, air bags, defensive driver, and automatic seat belts.
- Travelers has discounts for continuous insurance, new car, payment discounts, early quote, and multi-car.
- GEICO offers discounts including federal employee, seat belt use, driver training, multi-policy, and good student.
Double check with all the companies which discounts you qualify for. Depending on the company, some discounts might not be available to policyholders in Fort Worth. To locate providers who offer discounts in Texas, click this link.
Smart shoppers get results
When getting Fort Worth car insurance quotes online, it’s not a good idea to skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are many occasions where an accident victim reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits only to find out that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your goal should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best cost and still be able to protect your assets.
Some companies may not have internet price quotes and most of the time these regional carriers provide coverage only through local independent agents. Affordable Lincoln LS insurance in Fort Worth can be bought on the web and from local agencies, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best price selection to choose from.
Additional insurance information is available at the links below
- Dangers of fake or stolen airbags (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Affordable Fort Worth Auto Insurance for Low Credit Scores? (FAQ)
- How Much are Fort Worth Car Insurance Quotes for a Chevrolet Equinox? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Dodge Ram in Fort Worth? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Uninsured Drivers in Fort Worth? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Fort Worth Auto Insurance for High School Students? (FAQ)
- Help Your Teen Be a Better Driver (State Farm)
- How to Avoid Buying a Flooded Car (Insurance Information Institute)